If you want a career in Gardening, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in.
You’ll love working outdoors and understand that our gardens and grounds are as significant as our mansion houses and our historical places. Our visitors tell us how much they enjoy the peace and tranquillity of our well-kept outdoor spaces, which makes your role vital in making sure they have an amazing experience.
What you'll be doing
You’ll assist in making sure that the gardens are maintained to a high standard and be passionate and enthused by plants. This role will include a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects. You'll be helping with hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance of the garden, such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding. You’ll support with the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants. You’ll be helping to cut the hedges and mow our fine lawns.
You’ll also assist garden volunteers and support and help them to make the most of their time here. You’ll be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, answering the many questions, or help out with gardening workshops, tours and helping set up events when needed.
As part of this role you’ll be required to work regular weekends as part of a garden-team rota.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Previous practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as some knowledge of plants and horticultural techniques
- Familiarity with machinery/equipment and accompanying practical certificates
- Knowledge of Health and Safety compliance requirements
- Excellent customer service
- Willingness and enthusiasm to share the history of the garden with visitors, bringing it to life
- Commitment for what you are doing, always remaining proud of your work
- You’ll have an NVQ 1-2 in Amenity Horticulture (or equivalent).
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £3.09 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership at over 100 leisure facilities across the country
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our Retail and Food & Beverage outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking