Senior GARDENER – Bonnington House
1 day left
- Gardening Jobs
Senior GARDENER – Bonnington House
General Description of Role
The role is as a Senior Gardener for a charming country garden around a listed Jacobean House in the rolling landscape near Edinburgh. The garden includes lawns, ponds, a formal forecourt, rose garden, parterre and mixed borders, pleached trees and shrub borders, extensive hedges, vegetable garden and newly planted pool garden.
The total size of the property is approximately 5 acres, which contains gardens, set within the landscape of Jupiter Artland, which is open to the public from May to September.
To work with the Senior Head Gardener and Nicky and Robert Wilson, the owners, to optimise the potential of this garden. To maintain the property to the highest standards of horticulture, plantsmanship and presentation.
Personal Qualities and Skills Needed
- An enthusiastic gardener, with a keen eye for detail and a love of plants; a good knowledge of tress and shrubs and a good knowledge of herbaceous plants.
- A pleasant disposition, open to new and different ideas and willing to work with the Owner, the Senior Head Gardener, Jupiter Artland gardeners, trainees and volunteers.
- Excellent practical experience in improving and maintaining ornamental plantings, woodland, turf, fruit and vegetables;
- Past experience in managing a small team of gardeners.
- The ability to accept responsibility for both daily and long term challenges, both expected and unexpected, and the ability to follow through to get the job done.
- The ability to be responsible for all Health and Safety matters within the garden including maintaining all associated records and systems required.
- A “can do” attitude.
- A clean driving license;
- Formal horticultural training to level 3 preferred. PA1 and PA6, chainsaw certificates essential.
- To achieve the goals of the position, the following tasks will be included:-
- To maintain the garden at the highest standards at all times
- To grow vegetables and cut flowers for the House as well as Cafe Party.
- To assist the Senior Head Gardener with the implementation of the new projects.
- To supervise other gardeners, contractors and all activities in the garden.
- Garden water (including the ornamental pool, pond, underground water tank and streams) to be maintained to a high standard of working order and clarity.
- To be responsible for ensuring that tools and machinery are kept in good repair, are stored securely, and that a regular inventory check is undertaken.
- Experience in animal husbandry, help with animal husbandry alongside Senior Head Gardener.
- Other duties as they arise from time to time within the context of this role.
Due to the close nature of the working relationship, and the planned regular meetings, much performance review (both positive and negative) will be given on an ongoing basis. However, a more formal, annual process of review against budget and annual plan will be undertaken by the parties jointly at least once each year at a time of year to be agreed.
Employees are required to work with their employer to ensure a working environment which is safe and without risks to the health, safety and welfare of employees, visiting public and others who may be affected, in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act, associated regulations and the Corporate Health and Safety Policy.
This Job Description summarises the major responsibilities of the post, however, it is not intended to exclude other activities, nor future changes from the postholder’s responsibilities.
Please send your CV to Thomas at email@example.com to apply.
Apply for Senior GARDENER – Bonnington House
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly