If you want a career in Gardening, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in as well as one of the largest plant collections in Europe.
Please note that the working week for this role is Sunday-Thursday.
What it's like to work here
Set in the heart of the stunning Northumberland landscape, Cragside is a unique place to work. Here William Armstrong, the brilliant engineer and manufacturer, built a wonder of the Victorian age. Here he created artificial lakes, generated his own hydro-power, pioneered electric lighting, installed telephone systems and built a world of experimentation and innovation that inspired the way we live today.
We carry this ethos into the 21st Century – developing and implementing experimental and innovative ways to bring Cragside to life for today’s visitor. Just as Armstrong’s vision was brought to fruition through creative collaboration, today a multi-disciplinary team works to look after the place in a way that makes it enjoyable and relevant to our visitors, allowing them to connect with it on an emotional level too.
What you'll be doing
As a hands-on Gardener, you’ll assist in making sure that the gardens are maintained to a high standard. You’ll be passionate and enthused and knowledgeable about the varied plants within the garden. This role will include a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects. You'll be helping with hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance of the garden, such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding. You’ll support with the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants. You’ll be helping to cut the hedges and mow our fine lawns. You’ll also take ownership of specific areas of the garden ensuring the highest standards are maintained and healthy plants are available for our visitors to enjoy.
You’ll also support garden volunteers and help them to make the most of their time here. You’ll be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, answering the many questions, or help out with gardening workshops, tours and helping set up events when needed.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the below:
- Trained as a professional gardener/horticulturalist with a good level of practical experience.
- RHS Level 2 or equivalent.
- Have proven practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as a strong knowledge of plants
- Confidence to participate in garden activities and events
- Competence with machinery/equipment use and maintenance; including tractors, chainsaws, and pedestrian mowers with accreditation as required for Health and Safety compliance.
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £3.09 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership at over 100 leisure facilities across the country
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our Retail and Food & Beverage outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking