English Heritage cares for over 400 historic monuments, buildings and places. Through these, we bring the story of England to life for over 10 million visitors each year.
Boscobel House, Stokesay Castle and Wenlock Priory are outstanding properties within the English Heritage portfolio and attract around 60,000 visitors each year. They form part of the West Territory which also includes Kenilworth Castle and Witley Court. The gardens of Boscobel and Stokesay are fine examples of their periods, and will be subject to a major rejuvenation and replanting over the next few years. Working with project teams and consultants on those projects is a key part of this exciting role.
Against this backdrop we are seeking someone to take on the role of Senior Gardener responsible for the Gardens. Reporting to the Head of Historic Properties (Stokesay Cluster), and working with the Senior Gardens Advisor. The Gardens Supervisor is responsible for maintenance and development of all garden areas, the supervision of volunteers and contractors, maintenance of equipment, health and safety and risk assessments. Your responsibilities will be split between the gardens at Boscobel and Stokesay Castle and maintaining the topiary at Wenlock Priory.
No matter what you do or where you do it, by joining us you’ll be playing a vital role in looking after some of the greatest places in England so that they can be enjoyed today and for generations to come. You’ll find it’s a workplace like no other – taking you behind the scenes of these extraordinary sites and supporting you to share your ideas, inspire others and make a difference.
What you’ll achieve with us
As a Garden Supervisor with English Heritage you’ll:
- To provide efficient, high-quality, skilled maintenance for our gardens, managing all day to day aspects of the garden’s presentation and cyclic maintenance.
- Play an active role in leading the horticultural team, to supervise, train and develop trainees, and volunteers. Ensure the best possible visitor experience by maintaining excellent standards of presentation of the historic ‘green’ environment. Further develop and broaden your horticultural knowledge and plantsmanship skills in a high quality public historic garden.
What you’ll be doing with us
1. Ensuring consistently exemplary level of garden presentation through:
- Site presentation – maintain excellent standards of garden presentation at all times.
- Being responsible for the day to day running of the garden and supervision of staff, contractors and volunteers to ensure that appropriate horticultural standards are maintained, meeting the needs of the conservation management plan.
- To manage all day to day aspects of the garden’s presentation and cyclic maintenance at the garden and grounds at Boscobel House, Stokesay Castle and Wenlock Priory topiary.
- Manage all budgets for garden maintenance.
- Manage and develop the team of volunteers at the three Shropshire sites
- Work to produce Garden Management plan and work Rotas
- Ensuring that exemplary standards of horticultural husbandry and plantsmanship, as befit a national conservation body such as English Heritage, are employed and presented to the public throughout the garden.Taking part in a rota of weekend work for the maintenance of the sites and livestock (as required) and helping with events and tours.
2. Playing an important part in our resource management by:
- Ensuring that resources of volunteers, equipment and materials are effectively managed and spending kept in line with budget.
- To source suppliers, obtain quotations, place orders and approve payments, under the direction of line management.
- Working effectively with colleagues across EH to ensure the exemplar management and maintenance of the gardens and the care of any livestock contained therein.
- Preparing work schedules, keep records of work undertaken; prepare planting plans and landscaping proposals. Supervise/monitor work undertaken, ensuring appropriate standards are maintained.
- Assisting in garden research and plant collection record keeping to approved standards.
- Managing small scale projects on behalf of line management.
3. Providing excellent supervision to our teams of staff and volunteers, playing a vital part in their training and development though:
- Volunteer supervision, training and development – ensure volunteers are equipped with the skills and knowledge to carry out their duties in support of exemplary service, and for professional, career and personal development.
- Inspiring, co-ordinating and organising garden volunteers to undertake tasks to fit their abilities and needs and the requirements of the garden.
- Deputising for line manager as required to ensure smooth management of the garden/site.
- Identifying staff training and development needs, to ensure staff have the skills and knowledge to carry out their duties in support of exemplary service, and for professional, career and personal development by arranging and delivering training.
- Ensuring staff and volunteers deliver a proactive customer care service to the public.
4. Optimizing all marketing, public relations and business opportunities to benefit the garden and site through:
- Marketing and public relations – supporting and assisting the line manager in garden promotion and advocacy and in their absence, act as local garden spokesperson.
- Working with colleagues in other teams to identify opportunities for garden related events and assist with their organisation, promotion and implementation.
- Preparing and delivering lectures, walks and talks relating to the garden and its history and maintenance.
5. To take responsibility for health and safety in the garden and landscape to ensure the safety of staff, contractors, volunteers and visitors. Also supporting the line manager in maintaining the appropriate assessments and other necessary documentation and records relating to garden activities paying particular attention to machinery use and pesticide application.
Occasionally we may need to review a job description to incorporate any changes or other duties needed for the role as identified by the line manager.
We’re also committed to providing equality of opportunity so if you have a disability, we would be happy to discuss reasonable adjustments to the job with you.
Apply for Garden Supervisor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly