Assistant Head Gardener
We're looking for an Assistant Head Gardener who can inspire confidence in the team, adapt quickly to new ways of working and apply their technical knowledge to a range of different tasks and lead on small projects. If you're up to the challenge, then we want to hear from you!
What it's like to work here
Widely regarded as a horticultural masterpiece, the elegant landscaped gardens at Sheffield Park are alive with colour and wildlife. Four lakes and gorgeous views make this picturesque location to work in. Family-friendly events are a key part of the visitor experience at Sheffield Park, and welcome people with plenty of shared ideas and energy to join us. This is a great opportunity to become part of a supportive and close-knit team in a place you’ll love working.
There is water everywhere - a series of interlinked man-made lakes display mesmerizing reflections of the trees and shrubs around the park. Explore over 100 acres of traditional landscape gardens originally laid out by Capability Brown and Humphry Repton in the 18th Century.
What you'll be doing
Green fingered and hands-on with people management experience, you’ll assist in making sure that Sheffield Park is maintained to a high standard and be passionate and enthused by plants. This role will include a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects. You’ll be responsible for managing the garden team and volunteers on a daily basis and must be confident in maintaining a high level of horticultural standards, prioritising workloads across the garden and thinking about the bigger picture and vision for the garden.
You’ll love working outdoors and understand that our gardens and grounds are as significant as our mansion houses and our historical places. Our visitors tell us how much they enjoy the peace and tranquillity of our well-kept outdoor spaces, which makes your role vital in making sure they have an amazing experience. You’ll also manage our garden volunteers and support and help them to make the most of their time here.
You'll interact with the public on a daily basis, answering their many questions, lead gardening workshops and tours, and help set up events when needed.
Who we're looking for
We're looking for someone who is creative and thinks outside the box, and who can help share our magical story with visitors and supporters of all ages and backgrounds. In order to be successful in this role you’ll have:
- An eye for detail and experience working with collections of rare and unusual plants
- Experience managing teams of gardeners and volunteers
- A love for sharing your knowledge and experience with volunteers, staff and team
- RHS Level 3 (or equivalent) as well as practical gardening/horticulture experience
- An excellent understanding of horticultural techniques and plant identification
- Experience of using garden machinery
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £3.09 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our Retail and Food & Beverage outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
0 && item.type 1)