About the site.
The garden is situated just south of Newbury, Berkshire. The grounds stretch out from the Manor House, covering around 12 acres in size. The garden was originally landscaped in the 1920s when the house was rebuilt but also underwent a redevelopment 8 years ago Within this 12 acres is large rose garden containing some 2000+ heritage and modern varieties, stunning specimen trees, water features set about the grounds, a cutting garden, a working greenhouse, a haha, woodland, shrubberies, a long border and rolling areas of informal and formal lawns. There is excellent onsite facilities. The gardens are not open to the public
You are part of a 2 person team working within the gardens.
Normal working week is 40hrs, normally 7.45am-4.30pm. Lunch is provided.
28 days per annum inclusive of bank holidays
The pay is to the PGG scale and is starting at £20-21,000 depending on experience. This will be reviewed after completion of 6 month trial period.
You report to the property manager
The candidate would ideally be able to carry out the following duties within the site and would ideally be experienced in some of the areas. Training is also offered as required
- Pruning and training of roses, shrubs and trees, with knowledge of care of the plants.
- Care of lawns.
- All forms of bed and soil maintenance including weeding, feeding and mulching.
- Use and maintenance of powered machinery including quad bikes, hedge cutters, mowers, strimmers and blowers.
- To be able to use a wide range of hand tools and be able to maintain them.
- Use of chemicals within the garden and holding a PA1 and PA6.
- To be able to use step ladders and ladders safely and comply with working at height regulations.
- To ensure site is safe and secure at all times.
- To ensure the garden areas are maintained to the highest standard possible
- To able to follow and execute the garden maintenance plan using Horticulture knowledge to adjust timings as per growing conditions.
- Plan work to have materials onsite as required.
- To be able to work on your own, with a colleague or other onsite personal and contractors.
- To be able to assist in the training of an apprentice if required.
- To carry out other duties onsite as required.
- Attend any training if required.
- To apply with staff handbook.
- To comply with current health and safety guidelines and to keep up to-date with current legislation.
- Able to keep up together all records as required.
Ideally the candidate would have the following experience and qualifications. These are not required but would be ideal.
- A good education
- Some formal training to the equivalent of RHS level 3.
- At least 4 years experience in working in estate gardens carrying out a wide range of tasks
- To be able to identify basic range of plants and weeds.
- Ideally have a chainsaw certificate
- To have PA1 and PA6 spraying certification.
- Membership of professional bodies like PGG and CIHort is advantageous
- Ideally shows indicative on own career development and keeping up with current industry practices
- Self motivated as well as a team player
- To be physically fit and able to carry out an manual outside work
- To be able to work outside in any conditions
- A current DRB check