National Grounds Maintenance Manager
JOB TITLE: National Grounds Maintenance Manager
REPORTING TO: Managing Director
Effectively manage the landscaping business to ensure it meets or exceeds the targets set. Review working methods, routing and machinery and apply best practice across all regions. Manage the network of sub-contractors and service technicians to ensure customer satisfaction. Strive for continual improvement in performance.
- Produce a business plan for each financial year and deliver the performance set within it. Respond to deviations from the agreed business plan immediately and effectively.
- Manage the landscaping cost centres and work with the regional managers, branch managers and service managers to effectively manage the Greenleaf grounds maintenance staff and resources available at each branch.
- Take responsibility for delivering machinery awareness training and compliance to H&S across the country. Ensure all staff have completed workbooks, HAV questionnaires etc. to ensure safety of staff.
- Monitor the operational performance of the sub-contractors and the branches. Ensure any customer problems are resolved quickly and efficiently and action taken to prevent repetition.
- Review the routing and profitability of all existing grounds maintenance work and contribute to pricing for new tender submissions.
- Grow the product business pool through improved customer retention and enhancement of existing business. Provide key account management to specific sites as required.
- Initiate recommendations for change to improve the performance of the grounds maintenance operation. Implement any approved changes effectively.
- Produce regular formal reports and presentations on the performance of the landscaping division.
- Develop constructive working relationships with other managers in the division to ensure there is an effective exchange of ideas to improve performance throughout the division. Take every opportunity to promote Greenleaf within the PHS group.
HEALTH AND SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure sufficient resources are made available to give effect to PHS & H&S policy and procedures relevant to their division.
- Discipline employees failing to comply with the above requirements.
- Liaise with H&S department to ensure information relating to new legislation; codes of practice etc. are acted upon.
- Ensure relevant information is cascaded to the appropriate managers and acted upon.
- Ensure H&S issues are given equal importance alongside operational and financial considerations.
- Set a personal example.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITYAND CONTROL
The National Landscaping Manager has authority over all exterior sub-contractors and in addition over any branch staff, if the quality of service provided is compromised. They have authority over all decisions within the agreed business plan and budget.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Motivational and leadership skills.
- In depth knowledge of company products, services and pricing.
- In depth understanding of legislation relevant to Greenleaf.
- High level of commitment and ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels, with individuals and groups, both orally and in writing.
- High level of financial acumen and business understanding.
- The ability to challenge existing practices and put forward different methods of working to improve the Division.
- Creative approach to problem solving.