Head Gardener, Yester Estate
Location: Yester Estate, Gifford, East Lothian, EH41 4JF
Role: Yester Estate is looking for a Head Gardener to maintain and further develop the newly established gardens on a beautiful family run private estate, set in 500 acres of woodland, farm land, private gardens and Walled Garden.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, experienced and hands on gardener to further develop the existing walled gardens to event standard and to create and maintain a gorgeous private garden for the family to enjoy.
- Garden Design and implementation
- Hands on year-round garden maintenance
- Development and care of herbaceous and shrub borders
- Kitchen Garden, cut flowerbeds and fruit trees
- Propagation, greenhouse and nursery bed management
- Lawn Care and Management, including a croquet lawn
- Project Management
- Overseeing Contractors
- Garden machinery maintenance
- Overseeing small team of gardeners and seasonal staff
- Previous relevant experience, including at least 5 years gardening experience on a private estate/household
- RHS Level 3 or equivalent
- Excellent horticultural and plant knowledge and plant husbandry, including P&D control.
- Experience of boarder and garden design and implementation
- Ability to competently manage a small team, being able to work both independently and as part of a wider estate team
- Ability and desire to work outdoors in all weathers and to engage in physically demanding work.
- Flexible approach to work, being able to help out on the wider estate where necessary and occasional weekend work in the lead up to events
- Chainsaw license
- PA1 and PA6
- Experience of machine/vehicle maintenance.
- Experience of driving quad bikes/tractors/heavy machinery
Transport: Yester Estate does not have access to good public transport and therefore any applicants will require their own vehicle.
Hours: Mon-Fri 08:30 - 17:00.
Start date: November 2018
The family is looking for someone to really take ownership of the Gardens, and work closely together with them and the estate team to achieve their vision.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a passionate Gardener looking for a long term and rewarding role on a beautiful private estate.
Apply for Head Gardener
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly