To develop and implement strategy for effective, coherent and sustainable services in the Grounds team for our Client and ensure provision of grounds maintenance management and development of all external spaces, including the public realm and shared spaces.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Lead and advise on the development of the the Clients public realm and shared spaces including the needs of internal and external stakeholders. To represent the Client on all projects impacting on the external space.
- Maintain the Clients Green Flag accreditation and look at developing this across the wider group as well as seeking further accreditation opportunities.
- Manage the grounds elements of external facilities management contracts for the remote sites.
- Lead the implementation of agreed Grounds strategies through operational and business plans for existing and new properties during campus and business development programmes.
- Ensure a professional, consistent and holistic approach across Grounds teams, managing resources to support Estates and the development needs.
- Review and revise Grounds operations to increase flexibility and match the evolving needs of the changing business operations and hours.
- Manage and the support the development of our external sports facilities.
- Manage external contractors in line with the Clients contractor control process, including the management of subcontracts for the provision of interior plant displays.
- Ensure effective people and resource management of Grounds across a diverse range of operations, skills and functions. Support and manage an Apprentice Programme.
- Manage the budget for the section to ensure they are robust and that opportunities for more effective and cost efficient use of resources are identified that do not reduce quality.
- Develop and review policies and procedures to ensure that all work is completed to the highest standard, taking account of Estates and corporate priorities.
- Manage grounds maintenance improvement, both reactive repair and planned redevelopment works for hard and soft landscapes such as paving, roads, line marking and signage.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local authorities and appropriate external organisations, identifying strategic and operational opportunities for development.
- Work with local companies and in house teams to seek and develop commercial opportunities related to all activities.
- Support the Sustainability team in the education of the promotion of sustainable practices to both staff, students and the wider community. Actively engage with the local community, representing the Client the wider community.
- Lead in the co-ordination of the Estates contribution to special events requiring external venue provision, for example, open days, graduation, etc.
- Qualified to degree level, in an appropriate discipline or equivalent managerial experience in a senior position.
- Membership of appropriate professional bodies.
- National Diploma in Horticulture or equivalent.
- Commitment to environmental sustainability.
- Able to work on own initiative, and plan and organise a diverse team and range of activities.
- Good IT skills.
- Keeping up to date with industry best practice and innovation.