An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Estate worker/Groundsman to join our team on a historic private estate south of oxford.
The Grade II * listed manor house has 11 acres of gardens including Italianate formal gardens, herbaceous borders, terraces, a large formal pool, wildlife ponds, a dell, woodland and orchard areas, glasshouses and a number of outbuildings. The gardens and buildings are currently undergoing extensive renovations and improvements.
In addition to two part-time gardeners, the estate is managed by a skilled full time Head Gardener who will require assistance with gardening tasks such as mowing, strimming and hedge cutting. The Head Gardener welcomes enthusiasm and the desire to learn, so keen gardeners with well-rounded practical estate management skills are invited to apply and additional support and training will be provided to extend the practical horticultural skill set of any applicant.
The remainder of the duties of the role consist of non-horticultural tasks, i.e. garden machinery maintenance, DIY/handyman tasks, pet care, occasional driving etc.
Applicants for the position should have previous experience of maintenance, caretaking and security on private estates as well as solid groundsman knowledge. Experience in the use and maintenance of horticultural machinery, strong practical and DIY skills are all essential.
The successful candidate will need to maintain effective communications with Head Gardener; Owners; Visitors and Contractors and understand and undertake a cost effective approach to maintenance.
A competitive salary will be based on levels of experience. The position could be either live in or live out.
- Use and Maintenance of Equipment and Machinery.
- DIY, Repairs and Maintenance.
- Leaf clearing, drive raking, garden gate maintenance.
- Provide efficient and effective support service to the estate at all times and liaising with contractors occasionally.
- Lawn care and mowing on a range of grass types including formal lawns and wild flower meadows.
- Maintenance of ponds and pools.
- Maintenance of hand tools.
- Pruning and hedge cutting including care of formal parterre.
- Care of summer and spring bedding schemes.
- Border maintenance and renovations.
- Previous experience in using tractors, ride-on and pedestrian mowers, strimming, hedge cutting and a good knowledge of machinery maintenance and repairs.
- Experience in private estate work.
- Clean driving licence.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Respectful of client’s privacy and security.
- Good problem solving and handyman skills.
- DBS certificate
- A horticultural qualification.
- PA1/PA6 spraying certificate.
- Chainsaw licence