Weleda is the world market leader in natural cosmetics and anthroposophical medicines. It employs 2,400 people worldwide to develop, produce and market these products. We take a holistic approach to people’s health and well-being with our products. Weleda's strengths are a future-oriented company philosophy, social commitment and economic success. In harmony with mankind and nature – since 1921.
A very special and rare opportunity has arisen for an experienced Garden Manager to manage our 13 acre biodynamic and biodiverse gardens, where we grow many different medicinal plants. These range from trees like Birch and Thuja, shrubs and hedgerow bushes like Blackthorn and Hawthorn, field crops of Calendula, Oats and Chamomile, smaller quantities of herbs and wild flowers, to vegetables and weeds! Initial cultivation for field crops is done with a tractor using a plough and spading machine; everything else is done by hand.
Your area of responsibility
- Manage and develop the Weleda gardens and work alongside a small team of gardeners.
- Grow medicinal plants to Demeter standard and secure our annual certification, meeting the established high standard of biodynamic practice.
- Make tinctures and dry plants to Ph.Eur and pharmacopeia standards, to meet the needs of our annual production requirements in line with Good Manufacturing Practice and Standard Operating Procedures
- Create value-adding activities for the Weleda business, including facilitating garden tours, educational demonstrations and workshops
- Develop and maintain The Field and our Head Office show gardens to meet the needs of Production, Marketing and Staff Welfare
- Liaison with external suppliers of fresh plant material and external test houses.
You will be an excellent proven manager, who has strong communication and collaboration skills with an inclusive style. Sharing our values on a day-to-day basis is essential to this role, as will be the following attributes:-
- At least 3 years experience of working in a professional, productive garden, ideally with a formal qualification in horticulture
- A working knowledge of biodynamics
- An understanding of medicinal plants, herbal medicines and/or Anthroposophic medicines
- Experience of manufacturing to GMP standards
- An understanding of a conservation approach to land management with regard to biodiversity, habitat creation, wild flower meadows and ponds
- Enthusiastic, organised, motivated, positive, resilient and a flexible team player
- Competent in the use of garden machinery, including tractors
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, including Excel
Weleda was established almost one hundred years ago as a place of human development through a common goal - to create natural products that support and enhance health and well-being, profitably.
Today, we operate globally across 50 countries and we are recognised as the industry leader.
We share a common culture founded upon strong sustainable principles for the environment, for the economy and for our personal well-being and development. This includes adopting a flexible approach
When will get to know you?
We look forward to receiving your application which should include your CV and covering letter, convincing us of your ability and quoting your current salary to:-
Irene Bent, Personnel Manager,
Weleda (UK) Ltd, Heanor Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire. DE7 8DR email@example.com