The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s purpose is to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wild animals from going extinct. With a new strategy about to launch in June 2018, ZSL is just about to embark on a transformational change programme which will see strategic objectives being set for our 200 year anniversary in 2026.
Overview of role:
ZSL is seeking a Zoo Horticulturalist to support the Horticulture department at ZSL London Zoo in fulfilling the horticultural requirements of the site and optimising its potential. Specifically, you will deal with tasks that enhance visitor experience, assist animal management and deliver biodiversity conservation, and education, learning and research.
The role will:
- Maintain and develop amenity areas and exhibits to agreed horticultural standards.
- Carry out horticultural tasks that support animal management in optimising animal welfare opportunities.
- Carry out horticultural tasks to optimise the site’s biodiversity value and function through appropriate habitat management.
- Actively support ZSL’s efforts to protect the environment and operate sustainably.
- Supervise apprentices, volunteers and work placements as required.
Ideally the successful candidate will:
- A qualification to Level 2 Diploma in Horticulture (or equivalent), countryside management or similar land-based sector is desired.
- A valid full driving licence is essential.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Awareness and interest in conservation and sustainable practices, and a desire to learn.
- NPTC/ Lantra certification in the use of machinery and equipment such as hedge trimmers, brush cutters, mowers, and wood chippers is desired.
- Good plant knowledge
- Knowledge and an understanding of current health and safety legislation.
- Sound literacy, numeracy and IT skills.
Please note: The successful applicant will need to be a good communicator, both orally and in writing, with experience of dealing with the public. You must be capable of meeting the position’s physical demands and are expected to work outside in all weather conditions.
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this job online" button.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 26th August 2018.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.