TEMPLETON HOUSE, ROEHAMPTON, LONDON SW15
C. £30 - £35,000 DOE, ACCOMMODATION POTENTIALLY AVAILABLE
Templeton is among the grandest late-Georgian houses in Southwest London; its three-acre walled garden includes extensive lawns, flower gardens, a canal, greenhouses, a potager, mature forest trees, a jump ring, stabling and other outbuildings, and has recently been dramatically re-presented by the celebrated landscape architect Todd Longstaffe-Gowan.
The owners are seeking to employ a dynamic Head Gardener who will have excellent horticultural knowledge and have experience of, or affinity with, historic gardens, and a passion for maintaining grounds to the highest standards, working closely in line with the owners’ vision. The role will be supported by seasonal help.
It is essential that you hold an academic horticultural qualification at Level 3 or above and ideally CS30/CS31 and PA1/PA6A certificates.
- You will work with us and our property manager to create and deliver the agreed strategies for our short, medium and long-term goals, including agreeing and managing the budget.
- You will be responsible for the development and implementation of annual management plans for the estate’s gardens, formal parterre, herbaceous borders, greenhouses, vegetable/fruit gardens, lawns, water features, and newly planted and existing mature trees, liaising with specialist sub-contractors, where appropriate.
- You will restore, maintain or improve the existing gardens, including some hard landscaping, while also undertaking new projects including establishing herbaceous and floral borders around the kitchen garden and other buildings. All this work will be undertaken with a great eye for detail and a passion to achieve the highest standards.
- You will have a detailed knowledge of the watering requirements for all plantings and manage the irrigation system to that effect. The irrigation system is under an annual maintenance contract, although experience of minor repairs and adjustments will be useful.
- You will also assist with the implementation of sound Health and Safety practice, machinery and equipment maintenance. You will be flexible and sensitive in respecting the principles of landscape design and have the imagination to retain and adapt these as necessary.
- You will be able to handle a wide range of garden machinery, including tractors, mowers and chainsaws. The ability to maintain machinery is a bonus.
- You will be highly self-motivated, energetic and enthusiastic, with a hands-on, proactive can-do attitude, and you must be willing and able to work and join in as part of the wider team on the estate.
The working week is 40 hours, with occasional weekend work. Salary and benefits are subject to experience. If accommodation is provided the remuneration will be reduced accordingly Please send your current CV, and salary details to Tony Edkins FCIPD at HR@richstoneproperties.co.uk