NURSERY PRACTITIONERS for new Botanic Garden in UAE
His Highness Sheikh Dr Sultan bin Mohamed al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Sharjah has launched an exciting project to design and develop the Sharjah Botanic Garden (SBG). The garden will comprise plants from the Arabian Peninsula, other arid areas of the world and have environmentally controlled biomes to extend the range of plants grown.
SBG is looking for dynamic, hands-on nursery practitioners in a range of positions and able to work both practically and in the planning & development of the botanic garden nursery.
Candidates MUST have experience working in botanic gardens. They may have a range of professional horticultural qualifications (e.g. BSc or equivalent in horticulture).
Attention to detail in recording information, labelling & databasing is essential, so too is expertise in the propagation of a wide range of plants using different methods. Experience in growing plants from the Arabian Peninsula an advantage.
The successful candidates will participate in various aspects of the project’s development, depending on their skills and experience. These may include, but not be limited to:
- Aiding in the development of plant nursery infrastructure, suitable for an arid climate
- Propagation of a large number of different species using a range of methods
- Plant care and husbandry
- Researching and developing species-specific protocols for propagation
- Maintaining accuracy in recording and maintaining plant records
- Knowledge of growing media, pests & diseases, soils & composting
- Ability to develop plant availability schedules for target taxa
- Good & effective communication between other sectors of the botanic garden
- Aptitude to liaise with research staff to help develop research projects
- Adeptness to provide capacity building in propagation techniques & maintaining database records to nursery staff
- Ability to facilitate in the wider horticultural agenda of the botanic garden
The initial appointment will be for two years’ subject to a probationary period of six months. Appointment could be renewed for additional periods subject to project’s development.
Salary and benefits:
Competitive and attractive salary package commensurate with the qualifications and relevant experience of the successful candidate.
Applicants should send a cover letter and detailed curriculum vitae [in English] to: email@example.com
13 July, 2018