HORTICULTURIST x 2 – PROJECTS TEAM
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have an exciting vacancy for a Horticulturist to join our busy Projects team within our Horticulture and Botany division.
Our Horticulturist will be part of a team who develop and maintain a wide range of horticultural features and activities within our Collections Division and the wider zoo environment. Our Horticulturist will landscape and plant animal enclosures and garden features, maintaining lawns, hedges, bedding displays, mature trees and the zoo’s newly created 5 hectare nature reserve.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of NVQ Level 2 in Horticulture and proven practical horticultural experience
- Arboricultural experience - CS 38 tree climbing and aerial rescue CS 39, and CS31
- Experience operating a wide range of horticultural machinery and equipment efficiently and safely
- Excellent communications skills to engage with our visitors
- Full driving licence valid in the UK
- PA1 and PA6 spraying certificates
- An understanding of environmental and conservation issues and a passion for wildlife
Hours of work are 40 hours per week, worked 10 days out of 14, including weekends and Bank holidays as rostered.
The salary is £18,384.92 per annum and in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found at http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers/working-at-chester-zoo.
To apply for this position, please click apply now to provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you believe you should be considered for our Horticulturist role.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 11th February 2018