Title: Garden Supervisor
Pay: £20,000- £24,000 per annum (depending upon experience)
Hours: 40 hours per week
Holidays: 25 days per year (excluding bank Holidays)
We are continuing to regenerate the 725-acre Estate, which was previously owned for over 400 years by the Dukes of Sutherland, through a range of exciting projects including Charles Barry’s 1830’s Italianate Gardens lovingly restored using top landscape designers Tom Stuart Smith and Piet Oudolf; the Eastern pleasure Gardens with Piet’s iconic Rivers of Grass and Floral Labyrinth perennial plantings and more recently with our development of perennial and annual meadow schemes lead by Professor Nigel Dunnett’s innovative planting style to encompass our mile long Lancelot Capability Brown Lake.
Due to further development of our team to support the expansion and restoration of Trentham Gardens we are looking for a Garden Supervisor. Deputising to the Garden Team Manager your role on a day to day basis will focus on specific areas of the gardens and working practice. You will also have opportunities to work collaboratively on the development and delivery of exciting new projects. We will support you in developing skills through formal training opportunities.
- Deliver agreed work plan and projects.
- Performance Management. Present a consistently high standard of presentation and customer experience.
- Deliver compliance to company policies and procedures
- Support the procurement of goods, administration and services to develop and maintain the garden.
Key Responsibilities: -
- Support the line management and supervision of staff, volunteers within the Gardens Team, and all teams as requested by the GTM and contractors supporting garden works
- Manage the resources available and be proactive in addressing issues to support the delivery of individual and team SMART targets towards the upkeep and development of the gardens in line with company policies.
- Provide leadership of garden sub teams and deputise for Gardens Team Manager as needed.
- Coordinating and working closely with the other supervisors within the Garden and Estates Team.
- Supporting team activity through flexible working hours to facilitate some maintenance tasks outside of opening hours or at weekends.
- Responsibility for the whole garden under the role of Weekend Duty Gardener on a rota basis.
- Support the Health and Safety Checks for the garden and ensuring that the team, volunteers and contractors demonstrate safe and best practice always. Specific responsibilities will be identified.
Desirable Qualifications: -
- An individual who has worked in a ‘similar environment’ (i.e. historic garden/ Landscape maintenance contracting)
- First Aid Qualification
Essential Skills/ Qualifications:
- Relevant horticultural qualification (Level 3)
- Relevant horticultural experience including team supervision/ leadership.
- A good ‘plants person’ with a breadth of knowledge, in particular of herbaceous perennials, grasses, bedding, and woody perennials.
- PA1 & PA6
- Tractor Driving