Deputy Head Gardener
JOB TITLE: Deputy Head Gardener
REPORTS TO: Head Gardener
LOCATION: Tottenham Hotspur’s Training Centre (Enfield)
Tottenham Hotspur is a world famous football club based in North London. Off the pitch, the Club has a strong and successful business model centered around building a platform for long-term success, which will include a new world-class stadium expected to open in 2018.
The Club operates across multiple sites, including a world class Training Centre, where the position of Deputy Head Gardener is based. The Centre is the main location for the Club’s first team training and coaching activities, and its impeccable presentation and dynamic mass planting are some of the many features that have led to it being recognised as one of the best training facilities in Europe. The Training Centre is home to a varied and flourishing range of herbaceous and shrub borders, over 150 new and semi-mature trees, an orchard and kitchen garden and is still rapidly expanding. Over the last season we planted over three square km of mixed herbaceous and shrub borders designed in house by the gardening team and a wild flower meadow.
This is an exciting, challenging role we are constantly developing, expanding and improving our award winning site. The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the Head Gardener in managing our fifteen strong gardening team. You will need to have excellent observational skills and be well organized as you will be supervising multiple teams in different locations on a large 77 acre site. This role would suit someone who is self motivated, confident and has the ability to come up with new ideas and work independently and within a team with a flexible approach to working hours.
To assist the Head Gardener in the management, maintenance and development of the training centre and affiliated sites under the remit of THFC.
- Work closely with the Head Gardener and The Head of Playing Surfaces and Estates to develop, improve and maintain the borders, hedges and trees at the Training centre and affiliated sites to a very high standard.
- Supervise motivate and manage the gardening team helping them with plant indents, and guiding them through day to day tasks where necessary.
- To assist the Head Gardener in designing new borders these are normally over several hundred square metres
- To observe and report any incidence of pest and disease and observe and organize work on site with assistance of the Head Gardener,
- Be aware of, and work within, Health & Safety legislation, reporting all hazards and/or accidents
- Thinks ahead, generates ideas and thinks of creative solutions to problems
- Values & respects others, builds relationships, collaborates and communicates
- Gets things done, delivers to high standards, takes responsibility
- Proactive, energetic and self-sufficient
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Excellent plant knowledge and strong horticultural skills
- Up-to-date knowledge of Health & Safety legislation
- Be familiar with all types of garden machinery and operate it in a safe and controlled manner
- Driving licence (own vehicle preferred)
- PA1 & PA6 spraying certificates
- At least five years horticultural experience with relevant team leading experience
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to
email@example.com with the job title in the subject line. In your cover letter, please outline your salary expectations.
Please note that, due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to contact unsuccessful candidates individually. Candidates successful in securing an interview can expect to hear back within two weeks of the closing date.
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club welcomes applications from anyone regardless of age, disability, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
DEADLINE: MONDAY 23RD OCTOBER 2017