The successful candidate should:
• Have experience in the use and maintenance of grounds equipment
• Enjoy working outdoors and have experience of gardening. Ideally the post holder will have experience of the maintenance of sports grounds or gardens
• Be an enthusiastic worker with the ability to organise and prioritise tasks without close supervision
• Have good communication skills
• Have the ability to work well in a small team
• Be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
In addition, it would be desirable for the successful candidate to:
- Hold PA1/PA6 pesticide application certificates
- Hold NVQ Level 2 in a sports-turf/horticulture related field
- Hold a full valid UK Driving licence
• Maintenance of School gardens and grounds as instructed by the Grounds Manager, ensuring that the highest standards are achieved at all times.
• Use of hand tools, machines and ride-on mowers.
• Maintain to the highest standard the sports surfaces, using tractor, attachments and machines. Including preparing pitches for cricket, football, rugby and athletics.
• Line-marking, to mark out the sports pitches.
• Maintaining artificial surfaces, to keep them clean and playable for the pupils and external clubs.
• Sweeping/Cleaning main school road/drives, paths, play areas etc.,
• Emptying all rubbish bins and separating where possible all rubbish for recycling or which may be burned according to Health and Safety recommendation and legislation.
• Picking up and clearing of litter.
• General leaf clearing by hand or machine.
• Fence repairs and treatment of wooden fences, seats and sheds etc.,
• Gardening duties include edging of lawns, de-weeding flower beds, pruning etc.
• General assistance to other gardeners and caretaking if required.
• Clearing of snow and gritting pathways.
• To be responsible and maintain all equipment, with particular reference to safety provisions.
• Undertake any other work as reasonably directed by the Grounds Manager or Bursar from time to time.
• To ensure that you are aware of all COSHH Regulations relating to any product used and to comply with the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992.
• To create a safe environment by ensuring that agreed codes of practice are adhered to and to comply in particular to the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1992.
It is envisaged that the post holder will receive a salary of between £17500 - £18500 p.a. dependent on experience and qualifications.
In addition to normal public and Bank Holidays the Groundsperson/Gardener will be entitled to 20 days paid holiday each year.
St Christopher School will contribute 8% towards the School pension scheme.
The School operates a health benefit and death-in-service scheme for staff.
The post holder will enjoy a free lunch during term-time and free parking.
School employees are subject to our vegetarian and non-smoking rules when at work or on the School site.
A discount on fees is available to staff whose children attend the School, currently 50% for a full time post. Further details are available from the Bursar.
In order to apply for this post candidates are required to complete the St Christopher School Application Form and send this, along with a letter of application, to:
St Christopher School
Letchworth Garden City
Herts SG6 3JZ
fax: 01462 481578
tel: 01462 650945
Application Deadline: 4.00 pm on Friday 6th October 2017. We are happy to accept applications by email or post. We currently plan to hold interviews in the week beginning Monday 30th October.