5 days left
- Contract Type
Large private estate in Nevis, West Indies is seeking a Horticulturist to assist with the maintenance of an extensive developed tropical landscape.
Nevis is part of the St. Kitts and Nevis Federation in the Caribbean West Indies. The estate consists of two properties: A large beach front property with many species of tropical and subtropical trees and palms, growing in an intensively planted and managed tropical landscape. The other property, on the slope of Mount Nevis, is currently being developed across several hundred acres. An elaborate landscape is being created that blends with the surrounding forest vegetation, with many indigenous trees being conserved.
Reporting to the Horticultural Manager, and collaborating with the Land Manager and Arborist, the position will have a 'hands on' role in leading and developing the horticultural skills of the small maintenance team to achieve meticulous maintenance and presentation of the established landscape.
- Working under the direction of the Horticultural Manager, ensure the horticultural maintenance of the gardens at the beach house and mountain properties is carried out to an excellent standard.
- Oversee the day-to-day organization of a small garden team, and perform tasks such as pruning, mowing, herbicide and pesticide application, weeding, and watering.
- Assist the Horticultural Manger to oversee the day-to-day operations of the vegetable garden, nurseries and orchard, ensuring a high standard of plant and soil health
- Provide practical training in horticultural skills and work safety procedures to the garden teams
- Assist the Horticultural Manager to maintain the pesticide, tools and stores inventories.
- In conjunction with the Horticultural Manager and Mechanic, ensure equipment is maintained in good working order.
- Keep accurate horticultural and plant records, providing practical living collections management support, including the accurate labelling of plants and keeping accurate records of pesticide applications.
- Minimum of Diploma or Advanced Certificate level technical qualifications in Horticulture, with a minimum of two years practical training during technical qualification.
- Demonstrated experience and technical skills in garden maintenance
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience after initial qualification; experience working with tropical plants would be highly regarded
- Demonstrated ability to work in intensively managed landscapes where attention to fine detail is mandatory
- Demonstrated knowledge of plant health requirements, including identification and management of pests and diseases, principles of IPM, knowledge of chemical use and application techniques, irrigation scheduling, plant nutrition and soil management, and management of environmental factors.
- Ability to work independently, as well as the ability and willingness to work collaboratively with the Estate's Horticultural and Land Managers and semi-skilled workers.
- Demonstrated ability to use office software, including word processor, spreadsheet and email.
- Ability to withstand exposure to inclement weather conditions
- Valid driver's license and ability to drive manual vehicles and pickup trucks
- Ability to lift 40 lbs/ 18 kgs
- A positive attitude and the ability to coordinate work with multiple teams and manage competing priorities
This is a live out position
To apply please send a cover letter addressing selection criteria and a current cv/resume.