Reporting To: Head of Gardens and Estate
Assistant Head of Gardens and Estate
The Lost Gardens of Heligan are looking to recruit a gardener to join their experienced and passionate team, and to help take the gardens into the next 25 years. Incorporating Productive, ornamental and estate areas, the gardens provide a wealth of horticultural diversity and a huge opportunity for developing this further.
As part of the Heligan gardening team you will:
- Carry out numerous gardening duties, requiring a minimum amount of
- Soil cultivation, digging, forking, mulching, watering, raking, weeding,
Edging, pruning, bed preparation and planting.
- Lawn maintenance and cultivation.
- The use and maintenance of hand tools and basic light machinery.
- The use of cylinder and rotary mowers, strimmers, leaf blowers.
- Adjustments of mower height and quality of cut, etc. Oil level checks and checks for damage to any mower.
- To ensure all equipment, machinery and buildings are secure.
- To keep the tool shed/mess room clean and tidy.
- To keep the borders, thoroughfares and highway footpaths clear and free from litter at all times.
Gardens staff need to be:
- interested in gardening and horticulture
- willing to work outside in all weathers
- able to use tools, including power tools
- physically fit for digging, lifting, carrying, etc
- have an eye for design and colour
- able to work flexibly, according to seasons and weather
- working in a team
- communication skills
- practical skills
Qualities you will need to display:
- Hard working
- Adaptable to change
- Can – do attitude
In return you will be rewarded with:
- Staff benefit scheme including free family entry to Eden and Heligan during employment and discounts on local attractions and retail.
- Free Parking
- Sociable hours with no shift work
- Generous pension
- Discounts on retail within the Gardens and any associated companies
- Discounted staff meals within our tea rooms.
How to apply
Please send your CV along with a personal statement (no more than 1 side of A4) explaining why you would be great in this role, to firstname.lastname@example.org