After decades developing an outstanding garden at our estate in Scotland, our head gardener is retiring this summer. We are therefore looking for someone to take on his extraordinary legacy as well as to work with us to take the gardens forward.
The walled garden covers a couple of acres and was established over 200 years ago, originally as a kitchen garden providing fruit, vegetables and flowers. However in the past few decades the garden has been transformed by the current gardener into a horticultural oasis, where numerous native plants mix with a wide variety of fabulous foreign plants and trees. Many unusual non hardy plants, shrubs, and trees can be found within the walled garden, planted in a natural style and cared for organically, and the various areas of the garden feel very different in mood, emphasis and layout.
Below the southern wall of the garden lie a small orchard, poly tunnels, a greenhouse, a wildflower meadow, raised beds and a large rockery. This area may also be suitable for creating a kitchen garden, which the estate now needs.
Around the adjacent main house there are well-established naturalised woodlands with streams running through them, small wooded ravines, scenic paths and bridges, and an abundance of wildlife.
A unique opportunity has therefore arisen for an experienced gardener to lead the way in restoring, maintaining and improving our existing gardens to the highest level while also complementing the historic and mature setting by establishing planted areas around the main house and buildings, and creating a kitchen garden.
As passionate owners we offer a competitive salary package, your own home and a car.
Applications are welcome from individuals and couples.
- You will be responsible for the year-round management of the estate’s gardens, greenhouses, vegetable/fruit gardens, orchard, lawns, wild flower meadows, paths, herbaceous borders, water features, streams, and small woodland areas.
- You will restore, maintain or improve to perfection the existing gardens while also undertaking new projects including establishing herbaceous and floral borders around the main house and other buildings and creating a new kitchen garden. All this work will be undertaken with a great eye for detail and a passion to achieve the highest standards.
- You will work with us and our estate manager to create and deliver the agreed strategies for our short, medium and long-term goals.
- You will help us in hiring and managing the garden staff.
- You will have a keen interest in naturalistic planting, organic gardening, and ecology and wildlife.
- You will be able to handle a wide range of garden machinery including tractors, mowers and chainsaws. An ability to maintain machinery is a bonus, but the estate does have the staff and facilities to do this. A full UK driving licence is an absolute must.
- You will have proven practical horticultural knowledge, creative vision, design and planning skills, great people and management skills, and relevant IT skills.
- You will be self-motivated, energetic and enthusiastic, with a hands-on proactive can-do attitude, and you must be willing and able to work and join in as part of the wider team on the estate.
- You will be keen to work in a relatively remote and rural environment.
Please click the APPLY button to apply for this role.