Garden & Outdoors Manager
Garden & Outdoors Manager
Salary: £35,000 per annum
Contract: Permanent, full time (37.5 hours per week)
Job Ref: IRC43179
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced horticulturalist to join the leadership team at Polesden Lacey in the key role of Garden and Outdoors Manager. Our aim is to continue to enhance the experience for our visitors by restoring more areas of our historic garden and improving the nature conservation value of our 1400 acre estate. You’ll be leading a great team and playing your part in shaping the development of this flagship property. There’s huge potential, and plenty of opportunities to make this role your own.
Polesden Lacey is one of the Trust’s busiest properties, with around 350,000 visitors to the house and 35 acre of formal gardens every year. The estate includes Grade 2* listed parkland, a 450 acre SSSI, areas of ancient woodland, and two tenanted farms. Our current outdoor offer includes four way marked walking routes and a running trail, as well as miles of footpaths and bridleways.
About the role
This will be a role that blends horticulture and countryside management with leadership and project management. In the gardens you will be expected to work with your Head Gardener and large team of garden volunteers to improve presentation standards and take forward restoration projects, whilst on the estate you’ll work closely with the your Lead Ranger, the Estate Manager and General Manager to produce a new estate plan, which will see you working closely with stakeholders and tenants, and working with your Rangers and large team of outdoor volunteers to deliver conservation improvements across our woodlands and farmland.
You will be a key member of the property’s leadership team, working with the General Manager and other Heads of Department to manage day-to-day operations, as well as contributing to the strategic vision for Polesden Lacey and championing its delivery.
We need you to deliver a lot in this role, so in order to do this you’ll need:
- Strong horticultural/arboriculture experience, with knowledge of trees, plants and landscapes
- Experience of managing a garden open to the public
- Minimum level 4/Diploma in horticulture
- An innovative approach for engaging with a variety of audiences and stakeholders
- Strong management experience with an understanding of how to inspire and motivate others
- Experience of managing volunteers
- Understanding of managing budgets and working within financial targets
- Thorough understanding of H&S as it relates to the land-based sector
- Enthusiasm for the Trust’s cause and an ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
We’ll support you along the way, with continued professional development, including technical knowledge and expertise through our Heritage Gardening Programme.
Salary range from £30,000 to £35,000 depending on experience.
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership.
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness.
Unique to us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking.
Closing date: 25th January 2017.
For more information and to apply please follow: http://bit.ly/2eU8TZp
More jobs like this
- Full Time Management Jobs Horticultural Specialist jobs in Surrey
- Full Time Management Jobs Countryside, Parks & Open Space jobs in Surrey
- Full Time Management Jobs Greenkeeping & Turf Care jobs in Surrey
- Full Time Management Jobs Groundskeeping & Maintenance jobs in Surrey
- Full Time Management Jobs Growing jobs in Surrey