Head Grower - Horticulturalist
This is a great opportunity to be part of a small, friendly team that is creating a beautiful and productive estate in Dorset; based around a Grade 2 listed house and with a focus on specialist areas of horticulture, such as aromatic plants.
This full time role will cover a broad range of horticultural areas, with a focus on propagating, growing and harvesting specialist herbs, flowers and fruit, as well as supporting the gardening and estate team.
This person will need to be enthusiastic and practical. Your role will be a mix of precise horticulture, growing specialist herbs and crops, and practical duties such as operating machinery for planting and harvesting. Attention to detail and high standards are essential. Accommodation is not included.
- Have good experience of plant nursery, propagation and field-based crop and production
- Have specific knowledge and experience of herbs, fruit and aromatic plants
- Have a high level horticulture qualification, e.g. RHS, and an interest in botany
- Be able to operate a range of machinery, e.g. tractor certificate, and willing to learn about new equipment
- Understand the growth and care of flowers, fruit or herbs, ideally with some experience of harvesting
- Have good interpersonal skills, passion, the ability to plan, a desire to learn and be capable of working as part of a team. You must have a positive attitude, be good at problem solving and willing to take botanical risks
- Part of a Horticulture team but able to manage crops and plan own work
- Nursery experience, including propagation, polytunnel management
- Understanding/experience of field-grown crops and field cultivation
- Manage seasonal staff
- Pest and disease identification and treatment (crops, including herbs)
- Spray certificate
- Computer skills
We offer an excellent package including competitive salary, bonus, training, a friendly working environment and the chance to be part of an exciting long-term project.