Key duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in the maintenance of an intensively cultivated botanic garden.
- Work in all parts and on all aspects of the Garden’s horticultural work with other members of staff and volunteers.
- Cultivate a wide and diverse range of plants, many of conservation value.
- Maintain the grass lawns and paths on a rota basis.
- Assist with the cultivation of plants, subject to research.
- Assist in the supervision, management and training of horticultural volunteers and trainees.
- Maintenance/development responsibility for up to 3 glasshouses.
- Contribute to communications to include Garden interpretation, safety notices and such other communications or e-communications, as required by the Head Gardener.
- Comply with and implement Health and Safety legislation in collaboration with the Head Gardener.
- Be prepared to act as a first-aider, after training, if required.
- Participation in the weekend working rota, usually one weekend in five.
- Participation as required by the Head Gardener in Garden events.
- Shared responsibility (with 4 Garden team members) for site/staff/security management in the Head Gardeners absence
VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise horticultural volunteers and interns as specified by the Head Gardener.
- Recruit horticultural volunteers and interns to ensure all Garden and specialist horticultural volunteer posts are filled, as required by the Head Gardener, year-round.
- Induct Garden and specialist horticultural volunteers, including health and safety and PPE matters.
- Administer all volunteer and intern posts including but not limited to: processing travel claims, provision of PPE, carrying out review interviews at 1 month and 1 year following volunteers’ start dates, administering volunteer specific events and providing support to them.
- Direct and manage horticultural volunteers between 9am and 10.15am as they carry out generic tasks.
- Lead volunteer teams in maintenance tasks, as required by the Head Gardener.
- Feedback to the Head Gardener on specific needs and requests from volunteers and interns including notice of absence.