Gardener/Estate Worker at Syon House
Syon Park is the London home of the Duke of Northumberland and is listed as a Grade I historic landscape, covering about 200 acres. While the history of the Estate dates back to the fifteenth century, much of the landscape was laid out by Capability Brown around 1750. Into this landscape successive Dukes introduced a collection of trees, many of which are still flourishing and which form the core of a collection of over 400 species of tree. The tree collection is part of an ongoing process of development, and new taxa are being added every year.
Although now surrounded by urban areas, the Estate still has considerable ecological significance. There are around 50 acres of parkland, grazed by cattle, as well as the Tide Meadow, which is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, and the only un-embanked section of the Tidal Thames. There is a shelter belt planting of trees around the perimeter of the Park, several small areas of woodland, and a number of trees in the open Parkland.
The Gardens and Arboretum are centred on the famous Great Conservatory, built in the 1820s, and cover about 40 acres. They include a large lake and a wide variety of plantings from herbaceous and shrub beds to wildflower meadows and specimen trees. There are also a number of commercial enterprises operating on the Estate.
Almost all of the activities in the Park at Syon are carried out ‘in-house’ and the applicant will need the flexibility to cover a wide range of operations. The post-holder will need to be motivated and capable of working both as a member of a team and on their own initiative. To this end, they will be encouraged to come up with plans and proposals, and to implement them as appropriate.
The post-holder will have specific areas of responsibility, centring on the Car Park and public areas of Syon Park. The post-holder will need to ensure that these areas are presented to a high standard at all times.
Training may be available if required.
Core aspects of the post:
- Maintaining car park and public areas at Syon Park
- Hedge-cutting, leaf clearing, strimming and routine pruning.
- Pedestrian and ride on mowing
- Weed control, both by hand and application of herbicides.
- Maintaining grass and turf, from parkland and flower meadows to fine lawns.
- Litter picking and general site maintenance duties
- Use and routine maintenance of a wide range of machinery, from blowers, mowers and hedgetrimmers, through to ride on mowers and tractors.
Wider aspects of the post:
- Assisting with, or carrying out, tree work, including the use, as appropriate, of chainsaws, MEWPs and wood-chippers.
- Assisting with a range of general gardening operations, including maintenance and hard and soft landscaping.
- Carrying out a range of general estate maintenance tasks, including fencing, strimming and pesticide application.
- Operating and assisting with the maintenance of a range of machinery. This includes tractors, mowers and a wide range of horticultural and agricultural machinery.
- Close co-operation with the gardens and estate team under the direction of the Head Gardener and the Agent.