Botanical Group Services specialise in the provision of Grounds Maintenance and Winter Gritting services and the design and installation of Interior Planting and Commercial Christmas Decorations. We are based in Blackburn, Lancashire and service businesses throughout the North West. We are a forward thinking company that is growing steadily in these competitive markets and as such are looking for an experienced general manager for the Grounds Maintenance side of our operation.
Working as part of the Senior Management Team the successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining current client relationships, acquiring additional business, assisting in the tendering process for new business and the management of the grounds maintenance / winter gritting supervisors and teams.
We are looking for a dynamic, driven manager who is an experienced and proven leader of teams. You must have extensive management and operational experience in grounds maintenance and a good knowledge and experience of the tendering process. The position requires commitment, flexibility and excellent communications skills and organisational abilities.
Personal Qualities Required:
- Excellent leadership, and management skills
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Excellent personal organisation
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Self-motivated and ambitious.
- Good interpersonal skills to manage relationships at all levels with tact and diplomacy
- Managing client relationships across all contracts in line with financial constraints and budgets
- Assist the Directors in the preparation of tenders
- Assisting sales team with surveying, estimating and costing
- Contract negotiations with clients.
- Identify, price and supervise additional works on existing maintenance sites Contract negotiations with clients.
- Ensure the retention of existing business,
- Help to grow and develop the business with the owner.
- Management of grounds maintenance supervisor, team leaders and technicians
- Performance Management of staff appraisals and 1-1’s
- Staff motivation and morale
- Monitoring and planning resourcing
- Identification and implementation of staff development and training needs
- Oversee of the day to day grounds maintenance and winter gritting operations,
- Accountable for the operational plans within Grounds maintenance, ensuring that the team continuously meets the contractual requirements
- Monitoring of the quality of service provided by the operational teams
- Deciding on appropriate work products, methods and procedures
- Management of equipment, vehicles and materials
- Production of method statements and risk assessments.
- Ability to find workable solutions to problems as they arise.
- Ensuring that the all operational supervisors and the Landscape Estimator undertakes regular quality checks through the audit process
- Scheduling of work schedules including holiday and sickness cover
- Monitoring of hours worked / banked hours, holiday and rest days
- Excellent plant knowledge
- Five or more years’ experience within the commercial grounds maintenance industry as a Contracts or Operational Manager and operational work experience ("on the tools") in grounds maintenance
- Two or more years’ experience of managing large teams
- Understanding and experience of pre contract procedures and contract tendering in particular the Local Authority tendering process
- Comprehensive knowledge of quality assurance principles, methods and implementation
- Good knowledge of risk assessments and method statements
- Good understanding of the public, commercial and private sector requirements and issues
- Running large Grounds Maintenance Contract portfolios
- Experience of managing multi-site contracts
- Experience of pricing works
- Formal qualification in amenity horticulture and/or grounds maintenance i.e. Degree, City & Guilds
- Understanding of health and safety, particularly in grounds maintenance industry, and OHSAS 18001
- Have an IOSH Managing Safely qualification
- Have a full UK driving licence
This role offers a competitive salary with benefits for the right person
If you feel you have the right attributes for this role please click "Apply"