7 days left
- Contract Type
Great Killough, Llantilio Crossenny, Abergavenny
To replace the retiring gardener after 36 years.
Great Killough is a historic house dating from the 13th century and the gardens and grounds extend to approximately 6 acres, which comprise extensive lawns, hedges, shrubbery, ornamental pond and trees as well as vegetable and flower gardens and swimming pool.
The successful candidate will answer directly to the owners who are in full-time residence with the appropriate liaison with the agents and other staff as and when necessary.
The owners are seeking a candidate has horticultural knowledge and enthusiasm to maintain the gardens.
- Responsibility for the maintenance, development and upkeep of all the garden area and other areas on the estate when requested to do so.
- Chemicals – Safe storage of all garden chemicals.
- Machinery repairs – you will be responsible for the routine upkeep, maintenance and servicing and safe storage of all garden machinery.
- Greenhouse – you will be responsible for the correct operation of the greenhouse so as to provide and maintain existing stocks of plants and increase and bring on new plants and varieties as and when required.
- Swimming pool – day to day management and maintenance
Practical duties will include:
- Producing flowers and house plants for the house
- Propagation and seed ordering
- Potting and bedding out
- Weeding by hand and spraying
- General site maintenance including keeping the work areas clean and tidy
- Hedge cutting and minor tree work
- Provision of firewood for use in house
Other duties include:
- Some security responsibilities for the main house.
- Application of appropriate watering and heating systems for all plants within the greenhouse
- Minor occasional domestic maintenance tasks
- Pest and disease control
- Occasional help with domestic animals
Current spraying and chainsaw certificates will be needed so you may be required to take training.
Salary commensurate with experience
Good, 3 bedroom, newly renovated cottage available on service occupancy
Standard 39 hour week, overtime is available
28 days holidays to include bank holidays
There will be a probationary period of 3 months.
Apply for Gardener
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly