Salary: £30,000 per annum
Contract: Permanent, (37.5 hours per week)
Location: Esher, Surrey
Job Ref: IRC41434
Octavia Hill, founder of the National Trust said “There are indeed many good things in life but the need of quiet, the need of air, the sight of sky and of things growing, seem human needs, common to all”
Nowhere is this more applicable than within the portfolio of Surrey Landscapes. Set in the heart of one of the nation’s busiest counties, Surrey Landscapes is a collection of landscapes each with their own unique offering.
As the Head Gardener for this portfolio you’ll be responsible for some of our most beautiful landscapes, including Claremont and Winkworth Arboretum.
This is a new role within the portfolio, so it’s a great opportunity for you to make it your own. The portfolio includes Claremont, a landscape garden famed for its place in history as a Royal palace. Winkworth Arboretum, an internationally renowned garden with unique plants, and large visitor numbers each year, as well as Oak Hurst Cottage, a 16th century home providing a glimpse into the past and Holmwood Common, an ancient common once owned by King Harold and William the Conqueror.
About the role
As the Head Gardener for Surrey Landscapes you’ll be leading a team of gardeners and volunteers to manage a portfolio of diverse landscapes and gardens. Based at Claremont, you’ll oversee senior gardeners at Claremont and Winkworth. You’ll lead the hard working team, from the front in a hands on approach. You’ll be able to lead by example and encourage a sense of innovation and experimentation.
With more and more visitors coming to enjoy our beautiful locations each year, we need to balance conservation with access, and to find ways to engage our visitors all year round, so it’s not just the stunning autumn colours at Winkworth, or the spring Bluebells, but you’ll develop new ideas and ways to engage with our visitors and supporters to keep people coming back all year round.
We have large visitor numbers to our portfolio, with around 180,000 at Claremont and 120,000 at Winkworth over the last year. As the Head Gardener it’s your job to find a way to ensure that the gardens team is engaged with the visitors, supporters, and the visitor experience. You’ll work with other heads of department to ensure that the gardens are always at the forefront of our visitor experience. We know that young families love exploring our landscapes, and how we continue to engage with them will be part of your role to define.
As a Head of Department, you will also be part of the senior management team, this will include deputising for the General Manager on occasion.
In order to be considered for this role you’ll need to have:
- Strong horticultural experience, with knowledge of trees, plants and landscapes
- Experience of managing a garden open to the public and visitors
- An innovative approach for engaging with a variety of audiences, from local dog walkers to international visitors
- Strong management experience with an understanding of how to inspire and motivate others
- Understanding of managing budgets and working within financial targets
- Experience of managing teams across multiple sites.
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership.
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness.
Unique to us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking.
To apply for this role or for more information please follow: http://bit.ly/2dJAFJS
Closing date: 30th October 2016
Interview date: 7th November 2016